Srinagar: A Chinese official on Tuesday threatened to enter Kashmir and said that even Bhutan recognises that Doklam belongs to China.
Rejecting India’s suggestion for a simultaneous withdrawal of troops to end the standoff at Doklam, China today upped the ante, wondering what New Delhi would do if it “enters” Kalapani region in Uttarakhand or Kashmir.
Wang Wenli, the deputy director general of the Boundary and Ocean Affairs in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China, surprised many when she raked up the Kashmir issue, reports said.
As per reports speaking to a delegation of Indian journalists whose visit to China had been sponsored by the All China Journalists Association (ACJA), Wang reiterated her country’s stand on the Doklam issue, calling for immediate withdrawal of Indian troops.
“Even if there is only one Indian soldier, even for a day it is still a violation of our sovereignty and territorial integrity,” she said.
However, she surprised several people present at the briefing when she said: “The Indian side has also many tri-junctions. What if we use the same excuse and enter the Kalapani region between China, India and Nepal or even into the Kashmir region between India and Pakistan?”
For more than a month now, the two countries (China and India) have been involved in a stand-off along a part of their 3,500 kilometres shared border. Since both the countries are populous and have very robust economies, and have fought a war over border disputes in 1962, the stand-off has attracted global media attention.
Both India and China have rushed more troops to the border as the divide between the two neighbouring countries is turning out to be one of the longest since the India-China war of 1962.